Girl dies after allergic reaction to takeaway
A 15-year-old girl has died after she suffered a severe allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
Megan Lee, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, was taken to hospital on 30 December after eating food from a takeaway in the Hyndburn district near Blackburn.
She died two days later and her parents, Adam and Gemma Lee, have described her as an “inspiration” and a “princess”.
In a statement, they said: “Our hearts are shattered at the sudden loss of our beautiful daughter.
“Megan loved school and thoroughly enjoyed drama and musical theatre. She immediately touched the hearts of everyone she ever met.
“Megan was the kindest, most loving daughter and sister, who always wore the most beautiful and infectious smile.”
Lancashire police have launched an investigation into her death.
A spokesman said: “We are investigating the sudden death of a 15-year-old girl from Oswaldtwistle who passed away at Royal Blackburn Hospital after suffering a severe allergic reaction.
“A post-mortem examination to establish the cause of her death has taken place, however the full results will not be known for some time.”
It is unclear what type of food Megan had eaten.
Under rules brought in in December 2014, it is a legal requirement for food businesses to provide information about items that contain any of the 14 main allergenic ingredients – including cereals containing gluten, crustaceans, peanuts and milk.